Contact Installation Instructions
1. Select the appropriate crimp tool and ensure that the
proper crimp head positioner is used.
2. Cycle the tool to be sure the indentors are open.
3. Determine the correct selector setting for the wire size
from the data plate on the positioner (turret head
assembly) and set the selector knob on the crimp tool
4. Place the contact, mating end first, into the tool.
5. Insert the stripped wire into the hollow end of the
contact. Be sure the wire is inserted as far as it will go.
6. Close the tool completely to crimp. Unless the tool is
closed completely, the tool will not release the contact.
7. Remove the crimped contact from the tool. Check the
inspection hole to verify that the wire is fully inserted.
Insertion of Contacts
1. Before inserting the contacts, unscrew the accessories
(clamps, backshells or adapters) from rear of plug or
receptacle. Slide the hardware over the wire bundle in
the proper order for reassembly after all the contacts
2. To assist insertion of contacts, lubricate insulator
(grommet) cavities with isopropyl alcohol. Alcohol will
evaporate and will not leave a conductive film. Caution:
Never use any lubricant other than isopropyl alcohol.
3. Place the correct insertion tool on the contact so that the
wire runs along the groove in the tool. (Tool tip will butt
against the shoulder.) Hold the plug or receptacle body
4. Beginning with a center cavity, insert the contact into
the insulator with a slow, even pressure until the contact
snaps into position.Make sure the contact and tool are
held perpendicular to the face of the insert during the
contact installation or the grommet could be damaged.
4.1 If contacts are not inserted all the way prior to
removing insertion tool, do not try to reinsert the
insertion tool. Instead, remove the contact and try
again; otherwise reinserting the insertion tool may
damage the inside of the contact cavity.
5. Remove tool and check the face of the connector for
proper contact installation. Proper installation may also
be checked by pulling back lightly on the wire to make
sure the contact is properly seated.
After all the cavities have been filled, slide the hardware back
into position on the connector and tighten.
Extraction of Contacts (Rework)
1. Slide the hardware back over the wire bundle.
2. Select the appropriate tool. Place the wire into the
extraction tool of the pin or socket.
3. Slowly slide the extraction tool down wire into the contact
cavities until the tool tip bottoms against the contact
shoulder, expanding the clip retaining tines. Hold the
wire firmly in the tool and pull the wired contact and
tool straight out of the rear of the insulator.