Contact Installation Instructions
1. Select the appropriate crimp tool and ensure that the proper crimp head positioner is used.
2. Cycle the tool to be sure the indentors are open.
3. Determine the correct selector setting for the wire size
from the data plate on the positioner (turret head
assembly) and set the selector knob on the crimp tool
4. Place the contact, mating end first, into the tool.
5. Insert the stripped wire into the hollow end of the
contact. Be sure the wire is inserted as far as it will go.
6. Close the tool completely to crimp. Unless the tool is
closed completely, the tool will not release the contact.
7. Remove the crimped contact from the tool. Check the
inspection hole to verify that the wire is fully inserted.
Insertion of Contacts
1. Before inserting the contacts, unscrew the accessories
(clamps, backshells or adapters) from rear of plug or
receptacle. Slide the hardware over the wire bundle in
the proper order for reassembly after all the contacts
2. To assist insertion of contacts, lubricate insulator
(grommet) cavities with isopropyl alcohol. Alcohol will
evaporate and will not leave a conductive film.
Caution: Never use any lubricant other than isopropyl alcohol.
3. Place the correct insertion tool on the contact so that the
wire runs along the groove in the tool. (Tool tip will butt
against the shoulder.) Hold the plug or receptacle body
4. Beginning with a center cavity, insert the contact into the
insulator with a slow, even pressure until the contact
snaps into position.Make sure the contact and tool are
held perpendicular to the face of the insert during the
contact installation or the grommet could be damaged.
4.1If contacts are not inserted all the way prior to removing
insertion tool, do not try to reinsert the insertion tool.
Instead, remove the contact and try again; otherwise
reinserting the insertion tool may damage the inside of
the contact cavity.
5. Remove tool and check the face of the connector for
proper contact installation. Proper installation may also
be checked by pulling back lightly on the wire to make
sure the contact is properly seated.
After all the cavities have been filled, slide the hardware back into position on the connector and tighten. Extraction of Contacts (Rework)
1. Slide the hardware back over the wire bundle.
2. Select the appropriate tool. Place tool over the contact
on mating side and insert into the cavity.
3. Exert nominal force axially to release retention clip.
Spacer sleeve will shoulder at face of insulation when
tool is inserted to proper depth.
4. Push extraction plunger to force the contact out of the
rear of the insert.
5. Grasp contact or wire and pull the wired contact out of
the rear of the insulator.
6. Remove extraction tool axially.
7. After using the extraction tool, the spacer sleeve should
be set forward in the last notch to protect the end of the